Pages

Friday, March 11, 2016

18+


In the second unit in my Argument class, I learned about logical flaws, fallacies, and the strength of an argument. I learned about the Scott vs Sandford Supreme Court case of 1857. The case centered on Dred Scott, who was a former slave who sued his master for keeping him a slave in a free state. We analyzed this case and learned that the 14th amendment was crafted partly because of it. The purpose of my second Action Project was to form my own amendment based on my school’s Code of Conduct. I had to pick a part of my school’s Code of Conduct and defend a change I’d make to it. I enjoyed creating my own amendment, but what I struggled with was choosing a topic from the Code of Conduct because there was so many that I wanted to revise. The image below represents my amendment and you will soon find out why.

     Gograph.com 2012.
                                                      
Attendance Procedures:

GCE’s Code of Conduct states that “a parent or guardian is expected to communicate an absence with GCE Lab School as soon as possible when a student is going to be absent. Students are expected to contact their teachers as soon as they are able to address next steps for makeup work.”

I think the absence policy in the Code of Conduct is currently unjust. An 18 year old should have the right to call their school and inform the school of why they will not be attending I don’t think my parents should have to do that, especially since at 18 you are legally considered an adult in the US. Eightteen year olds can sign contracts on their own, sign up for the military, and vote. The Code of Conduct states that parents should contact the school as soon as possible when a student is going to be absent. In my experiences attending GCE, my parents will call the school and let them know why I will be absent, or send an email. A flaw my school has when it comes to the attendance procedures is that staff will keep contacting my parents even after my parents informed them that I won’t be attending school that day. I think this is a flaw because my parents shouldn’t be getting multiple calls from my school in a day about the same information that was already given. I think this is really unprofessional because multiple calls is unnecessary. I understand that education is really important at my school and they want to know where I am when I’m supposed to be in class, but if my parents are contacting them and letting them know I won’t be coming, then there shouldn’t be a problem and should not turn into five missed calls in my parents’ phones.

Students aren’t just students; they have lives besides going to school. I am very independent and like doing things on my own. It’s not my parents responsibility anymore that I go to school, it’s mine. Since I am eighteen, I should be able to determine whether I want to go to school or not, and to notify staff myself in the case of my absence. I think my school’s Code of Conduct for absences should be changed to state that students who are eighteen years or older can call the school themselves to inform them why they won’t be attending school. GCE is a school where students learn about the real world, how to grow as an individual, and learn how to be responsible and just as we practice these skills in our classes, we should also apply them when it comes to procedures like the attendance policy. My proposed amendment to the Code of Conduct is written as a formal argument below:

P1: Students should be responsible.
P2: Students 18 years or older can make their own decisions and are legally no longer minors.
C: Students 18 years or older can call the school themselves and state why they aren’t attending school.

This amendment will help students who are 18 years old have more responsibility for themselves, and it will teach them to not skip school because they will have to call themselves and state why they’re not going to school. GCE is a school where we learn about the real world and ways to grow as an individual and practice a true citizenship, it’s a place where students learn how to be responsible and thrive in the real world. GCE should let students who are 18 years or older make their own decisions and respect student’s decisions without a parent's consent. Student MS agrees with my proposal and states: “I believe that students 18 and older should have the ability and right to contact the school and explain the reason for their absence. The student must show responsibility at school and not abuse the right. If it becomes excessive parents will be contacted and informed of their students actions.” MS

The amendment I propose is related to the U.S Constitution. According to Amendment 26
Section. 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

This amendment argues that a US citizen who is eighteen years of age or older has the right to vote. That person has the right to elect a president for our country, which is important this year in America. This amendment connects to the change that I want to make in GCE’s Code of Conduct about absences; if eighteen year olds have the right to vote in America, then they should have the right to make their own decisions about their education. Voting is a right, but an 18 year old cannot call her school to inform staff of her absence? This flawed rule relates to Anna who is 18 years. Anna rents out an apartment in Wicker Park with her best friend Millie. When Anna isn't feeling well her Mother has to call Anna's school to inform them Anna won't be coming. Anna dislikes this rule because she is responsible enough to call her school herself. Anna owns an apartment but can't call her school for her own absences. This flaw needs to be fixed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment