Pages

Friday, October 24, 2014

My Batman.

For this last action project for my humanities class called Stories, we talked about heroes and how we can analyze them in stories and in movies. In order to do that we learned about Joseph Campbell's the theory of Monomyth. What I found most challenging about this project was understanding Campbell’s theory, because I don’t really think that way when I watch a movie, or read a book. But now that I know Campbell’s theory, it makes movies and stories easier to understand. What I enjoyed the most about this action project was creating it. This action project is so different from any I have done during this course and I like how it challenged me. 

For my project I picked Batman as one of my heroes. I grew up watching the movie Batman Returns, so it really reminds me of my childhood, plus Batman is the only superhero that I actually like. For my real-life hero I picked my mom, and the reasoning for that is because she did so much for my sibling and I; as a young mom she got to graduate high school and continue with college. My mom is a very brave and strong woman. I look up to her everyday. She is also very caring, and just like Batman, she always wants to help other people and puts those she loves first before herself. Below is my 8 stages of my hero's journey, its a slideshow on paper that explains what Batman went through. Also below is my interview with my mom, learning about her 8 stages of a hero's journey. 

Created by JV, "Batman" 2014*
Created by JV, "Batman" 2014*
Me: What made you want to become a nurse, and working at a nursing home?
Mom: I always wanted to be a nurse since I was a little girl, it was just something that I always wanted to do. I wanted to work at a nursing home because I knew that I would be helping seniors who needed extra care and I wanted to give them that. 


Me: what motivates you to keep doing what you do?
Mom: What motivates me is you and your sibling, you guys mean so much to me and I know what I am doing is so good for your guys future. What also motivates me is all the people that I am helping.

Me: Do you have a mentor?
Mom: Yes! your father is my mentor he helped me grow as a person and pushed me when I was falling. He also helped me raise you guys, and helped me go to school.

Me: Have you ever mentored anyone?
Mom: Yes, I have trained many people at my job! I trained them very well so they can learn and pass down good working habits!

Me: What were you doing before you became a nurse?
Mom: I was in school and raising you, when I left high school you were a baby. Than when I entered college I was pregnant with your sister. Nursing was my first job ever, so it was a big transition and hard to get use to.

Me: What was the biggest challenge that you went through when you first became a nurse?
Mom: The biggest challenge was raising two little babies when I first became a nurse, and learning all about nursing because it wasn't easy at all!

Me: What was the biggest challenge that you face throughout your life?
Mom: The biggest challenge that I faced was finding out that I have a heart condition. I was so scared because I was always in the hospital and I didn't even know that I had a heart disease. That changed my life so much.

Me: How did you finding out you had a heart disease change you for the better?
Mom: Finding out that I had a heart disease changed me for the better because I wanted to get better for me and for you guys. I started exercising more and eating healthy, also started to appreciate life more as well.

Me: What skills have you learned/held on to your whole life?
Mom: Good question! Um, I would say one helping other people because you're giving them your time and when you help other people, in return you will receive good things in your life. Other would be to be patient and never take nothing for granted.


Citations: Movie and Pictures. 

Batman Returns. DR. Tim Burton. Prod. Tim Burton. Warner bros, 1992

Curtis Lopez. Curtis & Movies. January 2, 2013. Internet: curtisandmovies.blogspot.com. 23 Oct 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment