Pages

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Tiller Kicks


The title of this course is called Designing and Engineering, which is a STEAM course that focuses on building things well. The course teaches us the history of design and how it changed so much over time, and benefited us in many ways. The purpose of this action project is to redesign a tool with a classmate that can benefit the elderly. Our users would be senior citizens; they are unique customers because they are older and need special equipment in order to work. Some have back injuries, some have knee problems etc. We learned about Empathy, which means to understand and connect to a customer's needs. It relates to this project because my partner and I had to think about what the elderly need in order to complete a task in a garden. What I enjoyed about this action project was redesigning the tool, and making a new one. What I found challenging was coming up with new ideas. What I am most proud of is the product my partner and I made.


Created by JV & DR Storyboard, 2015*
This is our story board about where, how, and why our customers will use our product. I learned that many things can go wrong when gardening, hands are better than tools, and take your time when you are working in a garden. Lightweight tools are easier to move around. Bad tools are heavy, electric, and wooden. For the external investigation I interviewed my mom who is a gardener and she told me, “I like using a tool that has a gel grip on it, because it makes the tool more comfortable to use.” Going off my mom’s quote I knew that I had to add gel in my project. For our field experience we went to Home Depot and decided to recreate a Tiller, which is a tool used to turn soil making it fresh and more alive. I learned that all versions of Tillers have feet/legs and are all used to work with dirt, and mix it up. Tillers all have handles and tines. They also all have safety pins to protect the sharp parts.


Created by JV & DR Model, 2015*
The new tool my partner and I designed is a shoe, the name is Tiller Kicks. It’s shaped to fit one foot of your choice, has toe slips so your feet fit in more comfortably and gel is inserted by the toe area. The kicks also have Croc material inside which is gel/foam-like to make the shoe even more comfortable. The outside material is made of Nappa material which is a full-grain un-split leather made from kid lamb, or sheep skin and is very protective; and will protect the customer's foot. The tines on the bottom spin on their own when you push down. Much like a pen that clicks, it uses force and a wedge because it digs into the ground and separates the material in order to work. The unique shoe isn’t too heavy so it will be the right amount to help an elderly get more leg strength. It also benefits people with arthritis because their toes would be separated and fit better without hurting. 

Created by JV, Vectors/Forces, 2015*
The obstacles my partner and I went through was if our design should have batteries or be able to have the same design as a clicking pen, like when you click down it moves and when you don’t click down it’s back in its place. We also looked into if our tool should be for both feet or for just one. My partner and I just talked it over and we both agreed on a clicking shoe, and for it just to be used for one foot because it will be easier to keep balance and also more lightweight.

We think our new tool is better because it’s more useful and it benefits the elderly more, especially if they have knee problems or arthritis. The Tiller Kicks will help them improve their leg strength and also get good exercise out of it.


Citations:
Vargas, Lucy, personal interview with gardener.19, September 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment