Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Mexican Mole Lizard.

The purpose for this first Action project for my STEAM class called "Population", which is a Global Health series that talks about why our population had changed throughout history and what this means for our future. During this unit, I learned both Mathematical and Scientific systems of classification; I also learned about Taxonomy, which is the branch of science that classifies animals, which helped me a lot with my project. I picked the Mexican Mole Lizard (Bipes biporus) because it looked so interesting to me, and how it's one of a kind because it doesn't have a relative. The MML is cold blooded, its Bipes because it is a Carnivore and Squamata because it has scales. Using Taxonomy helped me a lot because I got to see what class my animal was in as well as other information. What I found really helpful with doing this AP was really understanding what Taxonomy is. What I found challenging was doing the Mathematical language because I'm not that great at it, but I would love to improve. What I enjoyed about this project was learning about all different kinds of animals.

Here is the Taxonomy classification of the Mexican Mole Lizard.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Reptilia
Order: Squamata
Family: Bipedidae
Genus: Bipes
Species: B. biporus

Created by JV, "MML" 2014*
Here are the set theory statements explaining in mathematical language what my animal is categorized in and what it's not.

Created by JV "MML" 2014*
Here is a three circled Venn Diagram, I compared my animal with my classmate RD who had a Blue Tailed Skink, and my other classmate AMK had a Fennec Fox. To see what we have in common or what we don't have in common.

Created by JV, RD, AMK 2014*

No comments:

Post a Comment