Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Interview-Mrs Smith

The purpose of this piece was to do an  interview with a person who is at least 20 years older than me. I interviewed my neighbor who has been through racism and took part in Sit-ins. I chose to interview Mrs Smith because I think she is a very brave women. The most difficult part of this interview was not being able to record her or take pictures for privacy.  I am most proud of my interview I think it went very well. I am glad I got a chance to talk to somebody who went though segregation. 

FARMER, James (2013) Sit-ins are making a difference.
I interviewed my neighbor Mrs Smith. She is 71 years old she has experienced segregation. I interviewed her because she took action and participated in sit-ins. She has experienced a lot of racism as she grew up. She was raised in the south Atlanta Georgia, where there was a lot of racism in the 1940-1960's. I asked her multiple questions about her past. One event she told me that really stood out was when she did sit-ins. It stood out because the movie we watched “Freedom song” they did sit-ins. To know that my neighbor did that is so inspiring and I think she is a very brave women.

What I have learned about sarvodaya in this interview is nobody at that time raised or try to help African Americans. If a white person try to help they would have gotten arrested or beaten. Segregation, and apartheid mean the same meaning. From this interview I learned that there was a lot of segregation and apartheid in the south. What I have learned about Mrs Smith is she is a very brave women. At a young age she wanted to make a difference for her family and her future. She knew what whites were doing to African Americans for so long, was wrong and she wanted to stop that. She was 19 years old when she took part in the sit-ins. Four other people joined her they were also 19 years old. One question I ask her was “How did you feel when you walked in the dinner? What happened ?” Her answer was “I was scared I walked in without saying nothing. We all sat down my friends talked but I did not. Three white men and one woman came up to us and started cursing. One called us racist names he told me I was a black ashtray and lit out his cigarette on my arm. These memories will stay with me forever.” 

I respect Mrs Smith so much. I respect anyone who has been through racism. Sarvodaya deepened for me because it means so much to our world. Sarvodaya means rise together Mrs Smith rise with many others for their future. Africans Americans got what they truly deserved nobody should never get treated that way.



No comments:

Post a Comment