Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

We are Beautiful


The purpose of this action project was to occupy and transform a public space with an art piece. For my art piece, I had to get two photos of people who I think are beautiful. I also had to choose a letter that would spell out You Are Beautiful. I chose the letter U. My class decided to put our art work in our garden walk way so everyone can see our artwork! What was most challenging about my art piece was wheat-pasting my photo in the U shape. What I am most proud of is how my photo came out. I love both kids that I choose that are beautiful both are really important in my life.

Photography JV 2013*

NAME: [JV]
TITLE: [We are Beautiful]
MEASUREMENTS: [15 inches by 320 inches]
MEDIUM: [
wheat-paste, xacto knife, corrugated plastic, and inkjet on paper]


Public art to me is an art piece that has been planned with the intention of being sited by the public, usually outside and accessible to all. The intended purpose of this You Are Beautiful project was to occupy and transform a public space with an art piece.

We were inspired by JR who is a street, photography, and graffiti artist. He did multiple street art pieces that we got ideas from which were Face 2 Face and Inside Out. The Face 2 Face project tried to show that beyond what separates them, Israelis and Palestinians are enough alike to be able to understand one another. JR placed images of Israelis and Palestinians in Israeli and Palestinian to show people that no matter what race or religion, people are alike. JR’s art work made conversations. The Inside out project transforms messages of personal identity into pieces of artistic work, black and white photographic portraits. We used JR’s art idea by taking pictures of people making them black and white and putting them in a public space. We also got inspired by Matthew Hoffman who is a Chicago-based artist he created the You Are Beautiful idea. Matthew’s sticker went worldwide people loves his idea he did multiple of public art in Chicago that brought lots of communities together.

We took our inspiration to create our art piece by taking pictures of people that we think are beautiful. The process of making our You Are Beautiful letters was first to get pictures of people who are beautiful I had two, I pick my baby cousin and little brother because both of them are really important in my life. I also had to pick a letter to paste my photos on. To spell You Are Beautiful I pick U to paste both of my photos front and back. The materials we used were wheat-paste, xacto knife, corrugated plastic, and inkjet on paper. We cut the photos into 4 sections, than we did the same with our letter. Second we sketched out our letter shape on the corrugated plastic so our pictures can stick on something. We placed the pictures both on front and back. Cutting off any access around the letter. Third we wheat-pasted it so the pictures can last long during the harsh weather. Finally we installed our Public art. The measurements 
15 inches by 320 inches.

Photography JV 2013*

No comments:

Post a Comment