Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

Lack of Business & Communication in Portage/Jefferson Park.

 The purpose of this action project is to write a constructive protest letter to a representative, bringing attention to a problem that affects the local economy and making suggestions of how to address it. In Global Peace we are learning about Swadeshi which is Gandhi principles for nonviolence. Swa means me as in myself and deshi means location. We used Swadeshi to understand what was going on in our community. What I learned during this action project was that every Neighborhood can be fixed even if it was the best Neighborhood, there will always be a problem. The most challenging part for this project was getting a picture that really explained what the problem was. What I am most proud of is sending this letter so my community so it can become a better community.

John Arena Alderman for Portage/Jefferson Park.
45th Ward Service Office.
4754 N. Milwaukee Avenue.
Chicago, IL 60630.


November 14, 2013
Photography JV 6 Corners 2013*


Dear Alderman Arena:

My name is JV I attend Global Citizenship Experience High School in the Lincoln Park area in Chicago. I am taking a course called Global Peace, we are learning about Gandhi and his principles for the Indian independence movement. One word that we are learning is Swadeshi Swa means me as in my self, and Deshi mean place as in location. In this course we had to find problems in our Neighborhood which for me was Portage Park/ Jefferson Park and I am very lucky to be a part of it.

I have observed some problems in the community which was lack of communication, no connection with one another, and lack of business. The Neighborhood is very beautiful and quiet without a lot of crime. There is also little attraction in the neighborhood, when I am on my way to school so many business and restaurants are apart of the Lincoln Park area. The restaurants are always packed and bring so much attraction to the community. I also see in my neighborhood many empty buildings in 6 Corners. Which takes up useless space, but also makes the neighborhood look poor and worthless. There is also no connection in the community which is very quiet and not a lot of safety with one another. My class also went on a Field Experience to Andersonville which I observed was very connected with one another. They had many local businesses and look like a well connected neighborhood to live in. 


If my neighborhood is still lacking businesses and connection with one another Portage/Jefferson Park will fall apart. These two sample problems that could be fixed affects the local economy because nobody is taking action and raising together. If we do not stop this now Chicago's beautiful neighborhood will diminish.

I will suggest possible solutions for the problem. The community can come together and hold meetings to open local businesses. With you coming to the meetings will show the community that you care. We can possibly open a local Polish Bakery, since there are strong European roots, this can benefit the community very well. When I went to Andersonville I went to a Swedish Bakery which is only in Andersonville. It has been open for 80 plus years and really brings attention and the community together. I think this idea will be great for my neighborhood.

If these problems can be solved the community will rise, there will be a better connection. There will also be a lot of business in 6 Corners and a lot more in Jefferson Park area as well. That will bring a lot more attraction and business to my neighborhood. I think the local bakery idea will help the community so much. Please consider my solutions.

Sincerely,

JV

1535 N. Dayton St, Chicago, IL 60642.

              Photography JV 6 Corners 2013*

No comments:

Post a Comment