Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Slowly dying!


The purpose of this Action Project was to find the carbon footprint that I create with my lifestyle. I also had to find three actions to reduce the carbon that I put in the atmosphere, and in order to show this information, I created a diagram that shows all of the actions I will take. This also relates to one of the Field Experiences that we went on during this term. We went to the Robert W. Galvin Center for Electricity Innovation, and we learned how they power their whole community with renewable energy. They talked about how renewable energy is going to be big in a few years. I think that is eye-opening that one part of Chicago is already taking steps to try to save our Planet. Just as the Galvin Center is trying to take steps to save our Planet, I am sharing my action plan below, so that even individual people can make a difference. The challenging part of this Action Project was getting my carbon information. What I found most interesting was how much carbon I actually put into the atmosphere. I was surprised by the information, because I produce a lot of carbon, so imagine how much the whole world produces. What I am most proud of is how my essay came out because I think I have good information for people to go off of.

Created by JV 2014*
Pollution is the introduction of contaminants into the natural environment , which cause adverse change. Pollution can be released into the atmosphere by breathing, gas being given off from livestock, burning fossil fuels, volcanoes, and fracking. Most of these pollutants are man-made, and the only way to stop it is for us to change the way we live.

Carbon dioxide is one pollutant that is warming the Earth’s atmosphere and dramatically changing our climate. My individual information will provide some reasons why this is happening. According to the “Footprint Calculator,” I release about 22.1 tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. High levels of carbon are affected by the food I eat, shelter, mobility, and goods. My lifestyle is being supported by 23 global acres of Earth’s productive area, and if everyone lived like me, we would need 5.2 Planet Earth’s to provide enough resources.

My lifestyle is equal to the same amount of greenhouse gas emissions as 4.2 passenger vehicles, while my carbon dioxide is equal to 2,248 gallons of gasoline consumed. That is a lot of vehicles and gasoline for one person, so can you imagine the world living like me? We would not have an Earth to live on!

In order to reduce my carbon footprint, I will have to change my lifestyle so that I can produce less carbon annually. I pledge to:

  • Reduce the amount of animal products I currently eat by half. I frequently eat beef, chicken, and dairy. Livestock such as these release the greenhouse gas methane into the air. By reducing the amount or animal products I eat by half, I will reduce the number of Planet Earth’s by 0.4! ( from 5.2 planets to 4.8). This will reduce my CO2 emissions from 22.1 tons to 21.4 tons. 
  • Purchase products that use less packaging or made out of 100% post-consumer recycled content material. As waste decomposes, it produces methane, which increases global warming. By reducing waste and recycling, I will reduce the number of Planets Earth’s by 0.7! (From 4.8 to 4.5 planets). Recycling will reduce my CO2 emissions from 21.4 tons to 18.6 tons!
  • Switch to solar panels for electricity in my home. By switching to solar panels that give pure energy from the sun, I will help to combat greenhouse gas emissions and global warming and reduce fossil fuels. I will reduce number of Planets Earth's by 0.2! (From 4.5 to 3.9 planets). Using solar panels will reduce my CO2 emissions from 18.6 tons to 16.4 tons!

Even if I follow with all of the actions listed above, I cannot eliminate my carbon emissions completely. Another way I could offset carbon from my lifestyle is to invest in an emissions reduction project that will capture and store greenhouse gases, preventing their release into the atmosphere. To eliminate carbon that I produce, I would have to plant 514 trees and here is why: Scientists have found that 1 urban tree will remove 0.039 metric tons of carbon from the atmosphere. As mentioned previously, I produce 20.1 metric tons of carbon annually. If we use the conversion formula, we find that it takes 514 trees planted to remove 20.1 metric tons of carbon.

20.1 metric tons (1 tree/0.039 metric tons) = 20.1/0.039 = about 514 trees.

By taking these actions listed above, I would reduce my carbon footprint from 5.2 to 3.9 planets. In terms of carbon, it would decrease from 22.1 tons to 16.4 tons. That is 4.7 tons less carbon in the atmosphere. I would make the world a cleaner place if I follow through with my three actions. I would need to plant 514 trees to remove these emissions. All of these actions will be challenging, but I am willing to try, because we need to reduce our carbon ppm from 400 to 350. If we don't, future generations will not be able to survive in such a polluted climate.


Work cited:

“Air pollution.” National Geographic. 1996-2014. Web. 16 Feb. 2014

“Clean Energy: Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator.” U.S Environmental Protection Agency. n.d. Web. 14 Feb. 2014.

“Footprint Calculator.” Global Footprint Network. Sept. 2011. Web . 14 Feb. 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment