Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Solar Panels


The purpose of this Action Project was to research a type of renewable energy that a home owner can switch to. I picked solar panels, which are a type of radiant energy because solar panels absorb the sun’s rays. I chose to do this type of renewable energy, because I think solar panels use more recent technology, and I love how we are constantly trying to further develop our technology. I like how we can get energy from the sun. To present my findings, I created a video that encourages viewers to switch to renewable energy. What I found most challenging about this Action Project was inserting pictures that match the audio portion of my project. I overcame this challenge by doing research about solar panels to understand them better. I am most proud of my video, because I think viewers will recognize the importance of switching to renewable energy. The video will help spread the word of how to make our planet cleaner and last longer. I also really like how all the pictures came together! 

                                                                                     Created by JV & RD

JV- Man my electricity bill has been going up! I need to make a change. Any suggestions? I just realized that buying light bulbs and wasting energy on light can really effect the earth and my wallet!

RD- Funny that you brought that up, because I just recently lowered my electricity bill. It’s something that I would have never thought I would switch to, but I’m using Solar panels now.

JV- Solar panels, What are those?

RD- Solar panels are designed to absorb the sun's rays, a type of radiant energy. They serve the purpose of transferring the heat energy from the sun to electricity for your home.

JV- I'm sorry I still don’t understand, and how does that benefit my wallet? 

RD- Solar energy is produced by conducting the sun’s radiation, a process that excludes any smoke, gas, and other chemical by-products. It does not need expensive raw materials like coal and oil, and it requires a way lower operational labor than normal power productions.

JV- So your saying if I buy these Solar panels, I will save money and live a healthier and less expensive life?

RD- I sure do! How much are you paying right now, for your electricity?

JV- I am paying $105.20 every month.

RD- Wow! Exactly what I used to pay.

JV- I mean, I’m hearing some good things about these panels, but there has to be at least another downside to them, besides the price right? 

JV- For example, do I get any light in the night?

RD- No. However, if the previous day was full of sunlight, your panels will collect that energy and save it for cloudy days or at night. Other than that, the only problem is that the sun doesn't shine 24/7.

JV- Okay where would I be able to buy these solar panels?

RD- I got mine at Solar panel warehouse, for a pretty good deal! Plus they install them for you, but for a steep price.

JV- What’s the initial cost? And will I break even? If so, when?

RD- You typically use 513 kWh in any given month, which means you are paying $23.78 per kWh for electricity in a single month. This is known as your electric supply charge, and its really high! Basically, at this rate, you are paying $105.20 each month just for electricity.

RD-If you were to install Solar panels, initially, it will cost you $8,000. I know that is a high cost, but if you wait 9 years, you will break even, and your investment will pay itself back in cash. Over 14 years, your annual average utility savings will be anywhere between $1,930 to $3,682!

JV- WOW! I am totally switching, thank you for the information!




No comments:

Post a Comment